|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 1 (106) - MARCH, 2023 - Pages: 51-57
Lonzabac GA biocide standardization in air based on marker volatile compound
Turkina V.A.1, Tretiakova O.V.2, Kuzminov B.P.1, Zhuk S.Sh.1
1 Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Lviv
2 State Enterprise «Ukrainian Research Institute of Transport Medicine of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine», Odesa
Lonzabac GA (active ingredient – cocopropylenediamineguanidine acetate) is used as basic component in manufacturing surface and medical instrument disinfectants. In Ukraine, disinfectants are subject to sanitary standardization and obtaining of marketing authorization.
Given that the active ingredient Lonzabac GA is non-volatile, the question came up of detecting volatile compounds that can get into the air during its use, with subsequent establishment of a marker compound to be used to monitor the air quality.
The objective of this paper was to study the toxicity of LONZABAC GA at laboratory animals with various routes of exposure as part of sanitary standardization and to justify the drug administration standard based on marker volatile compound. To this end the sanitary and chemical, toxicological, and statistical research methods were used.
Results: Lonzabac GA classifies as hazard class 3 in terms of acute oral toxicity. It has no skin resorptive effect. Lonzabac GA has dermal and mucous membranes irritating action. Significant cumulative activity. It cause no body sensitization. Lonzabac GA, when used as disinfectant component, does not form drug aerosol, instead, an isopropyl alcohol migrates from the drug into the air. No LÑ50 was reached in acute ingestion experiment. The experimental animals showed no clinical signs of intoxication, changes in biochemical and hematological parameters during chronic inhalation study.
Conclusions: Therefore, it is advisable to monitor air quality both during manufacture and use of Lonzabac GA based on concentration of marker compound – isopropyl alcohol.
Lonzabac GA, cocopropylenediamineguanidine acetate, toxicity studies, standardization
1. Ministry of Health of Ukraine. Derzhavnyi reiestr dezinfektsiinykh zasobiv [State Register of Disinfectants]. (in Ukrainian). URL: https://moz.gov.ua/vidkriti-dani
2. Zamperini C., Maccari G., Deodato D. et al. Identification, Synthesis and Biological Activity of Alkyl-Guanidine Oligomers as Potent Antibacterial Agents. Scientific Reports. 2017 ; 7 : #8251. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-08749-6.
4. Pro zakhyst tvaryn vid zhorstokoho povodzhennia: Zakon Ukrainy vid 21.02.2006 ¹ 3447-IV [About the Protection of Animals Against Cruelty. Law of Ukraine dated February 21, 2006 ¹ 3447-IV]. (Date of Access : 08.08.2022) (in Ukrainian). URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/3447-15#Text
5. Pro zatverdzhennia Poriadku provedennia naukovymy ustanovamy doslidiv, eksperymentiv na tvarynakh : Nakaz Ministerstva osvity i nauky, molodi ta sportu Ukrainy vid 01.03.2012 ¹ 249 [On the Approval of the Procedure for Carrying out Experiments and Experiments on Animals by Scientific Institutions: Order of the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine dated 01.03.2012 ¹ 249]. (Date of Access : 08.08.2022) (in Ukrainian). URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0416-12#Text
6. Kuzminov B.P., Turkina V.A., Bek N.H. et al. Otsinky podrazniuvalnoi dii khimichnykh rechovyn na khorioalantoisnii obolontsi kuriachoho embrionu: metodychni rekomendatsii [Evaluation of the Irritating Effect of Chemicals on the Chorioallantoic Membrane of the Chick Embryo: Guidelines]. Ëüâ³â; 2021 : 19 p. (in Ukrainian).
7. Gill M., Burleigh-Flayer H.D., Strother D.E. et al. Isopropanol: Acute Vapor Inhalation Neurotoxicity Study in Rats. J. Appl. Toxicol. 1995 ; 15 (2) : 77-84. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1002/jat.2550150204
9. Yong-Soon Kim, Ka-Young Park, Eun-Sang Cho et al. Evaluation of 1-Propanol Toxicity in B6C3F1 Mice via Repeated Inhalation over 28 and 90 Days. Journal of Toxicology. 2020. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/9172569