|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 4 (105) - Decemder, 2022 - Pages: 36-43
Th137Cs radionuclides, folate cycle and physical development of children living near the Chornobyl exclusion zone
Bandazhevskyi Yu.I.1, Dubova N.F.2
1 Ecology and Health Coordination and Analytical Centre, Ivankiv, Ukraine
2 Shupyk National Healthcare University of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
Comparative analysis showed that in the subgroup of girls with overweight, the proportion of cases of carriage of genotypes composed of neutral alleles of the C/C polymorphism MTHFR:677 is greater than in the subgroup of harmoniously developed girls. At the same time, a lower specific activity of 137Cs in their body was registered.
It is concluded that incorporated 137Cs radionuclides cause a decrease in body weight in children living in the area affected by the accident at the ChÓrnobyl nuclear power plant. At the same time, there is a metabolic disorder, in the form of an increase in the content of Hcy in the blood, more pronounced in boys. The process of incorporation of 137Cs radionuclides into the body of children may be associated with the T allele of the MTHFR:C677 polymorphism, which affects the activity of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase.
cesium-137, physical development, homocysteine, folate cycle, adolescents, Chornobyl Exclusion Zone.
1. Bandazhevsky≥ Yu.I. and Dubova N.F. Forest Fires in the ChÓrnobyl Exclusion Zone and Childrenís Health. Ivank≥v : PI Coordination and Analytical Center ęEcology and HealthĽ. Kyiv : Aliant LLC ; 2021 : 44 p.
2. Bandazhevsky≥ Yu.I. Chronic Cs-137 Incorporation in Childrenís Organs. Swiss Medical Weekly. 2003 ; 133 : 488-490.
3. Bandazhevsky≥ Yu.I. and Dubova N.F. ChÓrnobyl Catastrophe and Childrenís Health. 35 Years of World Tragedy. Ivank≥v PI Coordination and Analytical Center ęEcology and HealthĽ. Kyiv : Alyant LLC ; 2022 : 158 p.
4. Ivakhno O.P, Koziarin I.P. and Niemtseva Yu.V. Metody otsinky fizychnoho rozvytku i zdorovia dytiachoho naselennia : Navchalnyi posibnyk [Methods of Assessing the Physical Development and Health of the Children's Population: Study Guide]. Kyiv ; 2012 : 129 p. (in Ukrainian).
5. Serdiuk A.M. (ed.) Standarty dlia otsinky fizychnoho rozvytku shkoliariv (Vypusk 3) [Standards for Assessing the Physical Development of Schoolchildren (Issue 3)]. Kyiv : Kazka ; 2010 : 60 p. (in Ukrainian).
6. Kashkevich E.I. Ekologicheskiye osobennosti fizicheskogo razvitiya detey i podrostkov Krasnoyarskogo kraya: monografiya [Ecological Features of the Physical Development of Children and Adolescents in the Krasnoyarsk Territory: Monograph]. Krasnoyarsk, RF ; 2013 : 188 p. (in Russian).
7. Bandazhevsky≥ Yu.I., Dubovaya N.F., Bandazhevskaya G.S. et al. Chernobyl 25 let: inkorporirovannye radionuklidy Cs-137 i zdorove lyudei. Koordinatsionnyi analiticheskiy tsentr ęEkologiya i zdoroveĽ [Chernobyl 25 Years: Incorporated Cs-137 Radionuclides and Human Health. Coordinating Center ęEcology and HealthĽ]. Kiev ; 2011 : 156 p. (in Russian).
8. Bandazhevsky≥ Yu.I. and Dubovaya N.F. Gipergomotsisteinemiya i B12-folievyi defitsit u detey, prozhivayushchikh na territorii, zagryaznennoy v rezultate avarii na Chernobylskoy atomnoy elektrostantsii [Hyperhomocysteinemia and B12-Folic Deficiency Among Children Who Live on the Territory Contaminated with Radionuclides as a Result of the Accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant]. Pediatria. Vostochnaya Evropa. 2017 ; 5 (1) : 25-32 (in Russian).