|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 1 (106) - MARCH, 2023 - Pages: 35-42
Chemical pollution of atmospheric air and modern policy of its quality at the international level and in the leading countries of the world (review of literature and regulatory data)
Chernychenko I.O.1, Balenko N.V.1, Lytvychenko O.M.1, Babii V.F.1, Kondratenko O.Ye.1, Hlavachek D.O.1
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU", Kyiv
Purpose: based on the analysis of literature data and regulatory documents, priority ways of preventing chemical pollution of atmospheric air and assessing its quality in the EU countries and the USA were identified.
Materials and methods: sources of scientific literature, EU Directives, Materials of the European Air Protection Agency. The method of theoretical analysis and generalization of scientific information is used.
Results: the leading role of chemical air pollution in the formation of population morbidity, the impact on public health in general and oncological pathology in particular is shown. An analysis of the discussion of the problem at international conferences and forums was carried out, a number of declarations and air quality standards were considered. The air quality standards for the protection of public health, recommended in the Quality Directives in the European Union, are given. The air quality standards (limit concentrations and reference concentrations of harmful impurities in the air) recommended by the WHO are given.
The conclusion about the need to harmonize the domestic regulatory framework to EU standards is made and the main directions for actions aimed at minimizing the negative impact of chemical air pollution on the population are identified.
atmospheric air, chemical pollution, quality standards, reference concentrations, management directives
1. Transforming Our World: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 25 September 2015. URL: https://sdgs.un.org/2030agenda
8. Rakitskiy V.N., Avaliani S.L. and Novikov S.M. Analiz riska zdorovyu pri vozdeystvii atmosfernykh zagryazneniy kak sostavnaya chast strategii umensheniya globalnoy epidemii neinfektsionnykh zabolevaniy [Analysis of Health Risks from Exposure to Atmospheric Pollution as Part of a Strategy to Reduce the Global Epidemic of Noncommunicable Diseases]. Analiz riska zdorovyu. 2019 ; 4 : 30 -36 (in Russian).
9. WHO Global Strategy on Health, Environment and Climate Change: The Transformation Needed to Improve Lives and Wellbeing Sustainably through Healthy Environments. World Health Organization ; 2020 : 30 p. URL: https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/331959
11. Madia F., Worth A., Whelan M. and Corvi R. Carcinogenicity Assessment: Addressing the Challenges of Cancer and Chemicals in the Environment. Environ Int. 2019 ; 128 : 417-429. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2019.04.067
12. Prüss-Üstün A., Wolf J., Corvalán C. F. et alý. Preventing Disease through Healthy Environments: a Global Assessment of the Burden of Disease from Environmental Risks. WHO ; 2016. 147 p. URL: https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/204585
15. Directive 2008/50/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 May 2008 on Ambient Air Quality and Cleaner Air for Europe. Official Journal of the European Union. 2008; L 152 : 1 – 44.
19. Ganzleben C., Antignac J.-P., Barouki R., Castano A., Fiddicke U., Klanova J., et al. Human Biomonitoring as a Tool to Support Chemicals Regulation in the European Union. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2017 ; 220 (2 Pt A) : 94-97. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2017.01.007
21. Zaytseva N.V., Shur P.Z., Chetverkina K.V. and Khasanova A.A. Sovershenstvovaniye metodicheskikh podkhodov k obosnovaniyu srednegodovykh predelno dopustimykh kontsentratsiy vrednykh veshchestv v atmosfernom vozdukhe naselennykh mest po kriteriyam dopustimogo riska zdorovyu cheloveka [Improvement of Methodological Approaches to the Justification of the Average Annual Maximum Permissible Concentrations of Harmful Substances in the Atmospheric Air of Populated Areas According to the Criteria of Acceptable Risk to Human Health]. Analiz riska zdorovyu. 2020 ; 3 : 39 – 48 (in Russian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.21668/health.risk/2020.3.05.eng
23. Avaliani S.L. and Mishina A.L. O garmonizatsii podkhodov k upravleniyu kachestvom atmosfernogo vozdukha [About Harmonization of Approaches to Atmospheric Air Quality Management]. Zdorove naseleniya i sreda obitaniya. 2011 ; 216 (3) : 44-48 (in Russian).
24. Castorina R. and Woodruff T. J. Assessment of Potential Risk Levels Associated with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Reference Values. Environ. Health Perspect. 2003 ; 111 (10) : 1318 – 1325. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.6185