|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 2 (95) - June, 2020 - Pages: 30-37
Dynamics of 137Cs concentrations in children residing in the raions of Kyiv oblast bordering on the Chornobyl exclusion zone
Dubova N.F.1, Bandazhevskyi Yu.I.2
1 P. L. Shupyk National Medical Academy for Post-Graduate Education, Kyiv
2 Ecology and Health Coordination and Analytical Centre, Ivankiv, Ukraine
The current radiation and environmental situation in the raions of Kyiv oblast the most affected the Chornobyl nuclear power plant accident indicates that there is a necessity to continue monitoring levels of radioactive contamination of foods of forest origin, as well as incorporated 137Cs concentrations in the residents of these areas. The childrenĺs population have a higher radiosensitivity and it should be the prior monitored group.
Objective: We analyzed the dynamics of137Cs concentrations in children residing in Ivankiv and Polissia raions, Kyiv oblast, taking into account their age and gender and the implementation of the radiation safety programme foreseen by the European Commission project.
Material and methods: Radiometric, mathematical and statistical methods.
Results:10,392 SHI measurements of radionuclide levels in children aged 0-18 years were conducted during 2014-2017. Cases with relatively low median values for 137Cs specific activity in the organism was an average of 95.0 %, including in the groups of boys and girlsThe critical group included children with radiocaesium levels over 5.0 Bq/kg. The highest concentrations of 137Cs in children were reported in October - January, i.e. during the period of intensive harvesting and consumption of mushrooms. In dynamicsof 2014-2017, the probably high specific activity of radiocaesium was found in the children aged 6.0-11.0 years in comparison with the age group of 12.0-18.0 years. The maximum value of 137Cs specific activity in a child's organism (307.29 Bq/kg) was recorded in 2014-2015. Informing the population of Ivankiv and Polissia raions on radiation safety allowed to halve the proportion of 137Cs radionuclides in the organism (over 5.0 Bq / kg) in the examined group of children.
SHI measurements, children, incorporated radiocaesium, radioactive contamination, Chornobyl nuclear power plant accident
1. 20 rokiv Chornobylskoi katastrofy. Pohliad u maibutnie : Natsionalna dopovid Ukrainy [20 Years of the Chornobyl Disaster. Looking to the Future: The National Report of Ukraine]. Kyiv : Atika ; 2006 : 232 p. (in Ukrainian).
2. Radiatsionnyy monitoring oblucheniya naseleniya v otdalennyy period posle avarii na Chernobylskoy AES. Rabochiye materialy TS proekt RER / 9/074 źStrategiya dolgosrochnykh mer zashchity i monitoring oblucheniya naseleniya selskikh territoriy, podvergshikhsya vozdeystviyu Chernobylskoy avarii ╗ [Radiation Monitoring of the Population Exposure in the Remote Period after the Accident at the Chernobyl NPP. Proceedings of the TS Project RER/9/074 Long-Term Countermeasure Strategies and Monitoring of Human Exposure in Rural Areas Affected the Chernobyl Accident]. Vienna ; 2007 : 119 p. (in Russian).
3. Perevoznikov O.N., Litvinets L.A., Yakovleva G.N. andVasilenko V.V. Metodicheskiye rekomendatsii po provedeniyu izmereniy s ispolzovaniyem schetchikov izlucheniya cheloveka pri dozimetricheskoy pasportizatsii naselennykh punktov Ukrainy [Guidelines for the Measurements Using the Human Radiation Counters at the Dosimetric Certification of Settlements of Ukraine]. Kiev ; 1995. 25 p. (in Russian).
4. Nechaiev S.Yu., Vasylenko V.V., Perevoznikov O.M., Rubel N.F. andPikhta V.O. Monitorynh doz vnutrishnoho oprominennia naselennia na piznomu etapi avarii na ChAES z vykorystanniam lichylnykiv vyprominiuvannia liudyny : metodychni rekomendatsii [Monitoring of the Doses of the Internal Radiation of the Population at a Late Stage of the Accident at the ChNPP Using the Counters of Human Radiation: Guidelines]. Kyiv; 2010 : 24 p. (in Ukrainian).
5. Vasylenko V.V., Masiuk S.V., Ivanova O.M., Pikta V.O., Boiko Z.N., Chepurnyi M.I. et al. Rezultaty LVL-vymiriuvan, provedenykh na radioaktyvno zabrudnenykh terytoriiakh Ukrainy u 1986-2014 rr. (reviziia ta analiz). [Results of WBC Measurements were Made at Radioactively Contaminated Territories of Ukraine in 1986ľ2014 (Revision and Analysis)]. In : Problemy radiatsiinoi medytsyny ta radiobiolohii [Problems of Radiation Medicine and Radiobiology]. Kyiv ; 2018 ; 23 :120-137. doi: 10.33145/2304_8336_2018_23_120_138 (in Ukrainian).
6. Kadun O.N. Ivankov and Polessky Districts Implementation of Socio-Medical Project of the European Commission źHealth and Environmental Programs round the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone╗. In : Yu.I. Bandazhevsky (Ed.). Collection of Scientific and Practical Articles źChernobyl: Ecology and Health╗. Issue 6. Ivankov, Ukraine: PI Coordination and Analytical Center źEcology and Health╗.Dnipro: Seredn│ak Ď.╩. : 2017 : 4-11.
7. Pro zatverdzhennia form pervynnoi oblikovoi dokumentatsii ta Instruktsii shchodo yikh zapovnennia, shcho vykorystovuiutsia u zakladakh okhorony zdorovia nezalezhno vid formy vlasnosti ta pidporiadkuvannia : Nakaz MOZ Ukrainy 14 liutoho 2012 r. ╣ 110. [On the Approval of the Forms of Primary Accounting Records and Instructions on their Completion, Used in Health Care Institutions Regardless of Ownership and Subordination: Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, 14 February 2012, No. 110]. (in Ukrainian). URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0661-12.
8. Bandazhevskiy Yu.I., Dubovaya N.F. and Kadun O.N. Vozrastnyye osobennosti soderzhaniya radionuklidov 137Cs v organizme detey Ivankovskogo i Polesskogo rayonov Kiyevskoy oblasti Ukrainy spustya 30 let posle avarii na Chernobylskoy atomnoy elektrostantsii [Age-Related Features of 137Cs Radionuclidesĺ Content in the Organism of the Children of Ivankiv and Polissia Raions of Kiev oblast of Ukraine in 30 Years after the Accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant]. In : Chornobyl: ekolohiia i zdorovia : nauk.-prakt. zb. [ Chornobyl: Ecology and Health : Sci.-Pract.Coll.]. Ivankiv, Ukraine ; ─Ý│´ţ ; 2019 ; 8 : 4-10 (in Russian)
9. Dubovaya N.F. and Bandazhevskiy Yu.I. Osobennosti domashnego pitaniya selskikh detey. prozhivayushchikh na radioaktivno zagryaznennykh territoriyakh. v postchernobylskiy period [Features of Home Nutrition of Rural Children Residing in Radioactively Contaminated Territories in the Post-Chernobyl Period]. In : Chornobyl: ekolohiia i zdorovia : nauk.-prakt. zb. [Chornobyl: Ecology and Health : Sci.-Pract.Coll. ]. Ivankiv, Ukraine ; ─Ý│´ţ ; 2019 ; 8 : 23-30 (in Russian).
10. Bandazhevsky Yu.I. Chronic Cs-137 Incorporation in Children's Organs. SwissMedicalWeekly. 2003 ; 133 : 488-490(in Russian).
11. Bandazhevskiy Yu.I., Dubovaya N.F., Bandazhevskaya G.S., Kadun O.N., Perepletchikov A.M. and Zherbo L. Chernobyl 25 let: inkorporirovannyye radionuklidy Cs-137 i zdorovye lyudey [Chernobyl 25 Years: Incorporated Radionuclides Cs-137 and Human Health] Bandazhevskiy Yu.I. (ed.). Kiev : Koordinatsionno-analiticheskiy tsentr źEkologiya I zdorovie╗ ; 2011 : 156 p. (in Russian).