|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 3 (88) - September, 2018 - Pages: 56-62
Estimation of the radon concentrations in children's educational institutions of Kropyvnytskyi city for radon protective actions
Fryziuk M.A.1, Aksionov N.V.1, Fedorenko O.V.1, Slinchenko V.A.2, Chuchupal I.I.2
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
2 Civil Protection Department of Kirovograd Regional State Administration
Objective: We studied the levels of radon in the indoor air in pre-school and school educational institutions of Kropyvnytskyi city, Kirovograd oblast for further effective anti-radon measures
Materials and methods: We studied equal equilibrium concentration (EEC) of 222Rn in the indoor air of children's educational institutions.
Measurements of indoor EEC of 222Rn were carried out with the help of passive track radonometry method using nitrate-cellulose film LR-115 as a detector in heating season. The time of exposure of radon accumulators was not less than 30 days. The chemical treatment of the detectors was performed in the alkali solution NaOH (2.5 M). Calculation of tracks was carried out with the help of spark counter ÀÈÑÒ.
Results: Studies were carried out in the children's educational institutions of Kropyvnytskyi city, Kirovograd oblast. The range of indoor EEC of 222Rn was established to be 12 Bq•m-3 to 332 Bq•m-3, the arithmetical mean was 85 Bq•m-3, the geometrical mean was 69 Bq•m-3 at a standard deviation of 59 Bq•m-3. The levels of 222Rn exceeded the standard level for children’s institutions (50 Bq•m-3) in 64 % of examined premises, excess of the standard was greater by 4-6 fold in 8 premises there.
Indoor EEC of 222Rn in the premises, located on the ground floor, was nearly twice as much than in the premises located above the ground floor.
Anti-radon measures should be realized in all buildings where the hygienic levels are exceeded. Optimum protective measures are established separately for each definite premise or building and are based on the analysis and assessment of the structural characteristics of the building and the ways of radon intake into it. Effectiveness of performed protective measures is determined by the repeated measurements of radon levels in the same premises.
indoor radon, anti-radon measures
1. ICRP Publication 126. Radiological Protection against Radon Exposure. Annals of the ICRP. 2014 ; 43 (3) : 73 p.
2. Zeeb H. and Shannoun F. (eds.). WHO Handbook on Indoor Radon: a Public Health Perspective. WHO ; 2009 : 94 p.
3. Darby S., Hill D., Auvinen A. et al. British Journal of Medicine. 2005 ; 330 : 223 p.
5. Darby S., Hill D., Auvinen A. et al. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health. 2006 ; 32 (1) : 1-84.
6. Kemski J., Klingel R., Siehl A. and Valdivia-Manchego M. Environ. Geol. 2009 ; 56 : 1269–1279.
7. Exposure from Natural Radiation Sources. UNSCEAR 2000. Report : Annex B / United Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation. New York : United Nations, 2000. 74 p.
8. Source-to-effects Assessment for Radon in Homes and Workplaces. UNSCEAR 2006. Report : Annex E / United Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation. New York : United Nations, 2009. 138 p.
9. ICRP Publication 65. Protection Against Radon-222 at Home and at Work. Annals of the ICRP. 1994 ; 23 (2) : 78 p.
10. ICRP Publication 115. Lung Cancer Risk from Radon and Progeny and Statement on Radon / ed. C.H. Clement. Annals of the ICRP. 2010 ; 40 (1) : 64 p.
11. Pavlenko Ò.Î. Dovkillia ta zdorovia. 2007 ; 2 (41) : 22-25 (in Ukrainian).
12. Clavensjoe B. and Aakerblom G. Radon Book. Measures against Radon in Existing Buildings. Stockholm : FORMAS ; 2003 : 131p.
13. Normy radiatsiinoi bezpeky Ukrainy (NRBU-97) : Derzhavni hihiienichni normatyvy [Standards of Radiation Safety of Ukraine (SRSU-97): State Hygienic Standards] DHN 6.6.1.-6.5.001-98. Kyiv ; 1998 : 135 p. (in Ukrainian).
14. Vymiriuvannia kontsentratsii radonu-222 u povitri budynkiv metodom pasyvnoi trekovoi radonometrii z vykorystannia pryladu "Track 2010Z". MVK 6.6.2.-063-2000 : metodychni vkazivky z metodiv kontroliu [Measurement of Radon-222 in the Indoor Air of Buildings by the Method of Passive Track Radonometry with the Help of “Track 2010Z”. MIC 6.6.2.-063-2000: Methodical Instructions on the Control Methods. Ministry of Health Care of Ukraine]. Êyiv; 2000 : 21 p. (in Ukrainian).
15. Pavlenko Ò.Î., Aksonov Ì.V., Fryziuk Ì.À. and Herman Î.Î. Metody protyradonovoho zakhystu budivel (ohliad) [Method of Anti-Radon Protection of Buildings (Review)]. In : Hihiiena naselenykh mists [Hygiene of Settlements]. Kyiv ; 2012 ; 60 : 218-222 (in Ukrainian).