|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 2 (95) - June, 2020 - Pages: 24-29
Incidence of non-tumor diseases of digestive organs
in persons aged of 18 years and older evacuated from 30 kilometer exclusion zone in post-accident period
Kapustynska O.A.1, Prykashchykova K.Ye.1, Yaroshenko Zh.S.1, Kostiuk H.V.1, Lukianiuk V.O.1, Olepir O.V.1, Syrovenko V. I.1, Lytvyniuk I.V.1, Polianska V.M.1
1 SI “National Research Centre for Radiation Medicine of National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine”, Kyiv
ÓÄÊ: 616.3 – 036.2 – 053.0:614.876
Objective: We carried out the epidemiological analysis of the incidence of non-tumor diseases of digestive organs in the people evacuated from the 30-kilometer zone of the Chornobyl NPP at the age of 18 years and older during the post-accident observation period.
Materials and methods: In the post-accident period during1992 - 2016, we performed an epidemiologic study of the incidence of non-tumor diseases of the digestive system in 7,143 people (2,198 men and 4,945 women) aged 18 years and older evacuated from the 30-kilometer zone of the Chornobyl NPP. To assess the digestive disease incidence in the examined people, we studied a structure of the diseases according to the international statistical classification of the diseases of the tenth revision (ICD-10) by the information base of the clinical and epidemiological register of the NACRM NAMSU.
Results: As a result of the study of the structure of digestive system diseases, it was found that 91.05% belonged to somatic pathology by the Digestive Diseases’ class. The health of the examined by this class persons deteriorated mainly due to the the development of the diseases of oral cavity, salivary glands and jaws, which made up the largest component (47.17%) and the diseases of esophagus, stomach, and duodenum (34.39%). But a significant loss of health was caused bythe diseases of the gall bladder, biliary tract and pancreas, chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis(8.13%), non-infectious enteritis and colitis, and other diseases of the intestine (1.36%). Only digestive pathology made up8.9% among different classes of ICD-10: "Some infectious and parasitic diseases (A00-B99)", "Tumors (C00-D48)", "Congenital abnormalities (malformations), deformities and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99)". Irrespective of gender, the morbidity structure of males and females is characterized by the identity of the diseases and the ratio of indicators in the structure of the overall cohort. But females suffered more from gall bladder disease, biliary tract and pancreas disease, oral cavity disease, the malesfrom esophageal, stomach, and 12 duodenal diseases.
Conclusions: Determination of the structure of the diseases on the example of diseases of the digestive organsamong the people aged of 18 years and older, evacuated from the 30-kilometer zone of the Chornobyl NPP, enables the identification of priority nosological forms for further illustration of the determined relationship of the effect of ionizing radiation on the health status of the suffered for preventive measures.
evacuees, digestive organs’diseases, epidemiological study
1. Buzunov V.A., Pirogova E.A. and Krasnikova L.I. Epidemiologiya neopukholevykh effektov ioniziruyushchego oblucheniya [Epidemiology of Non-Tumor Effects of Ionizing Radiation ]. Zhurnal AMN Ukrainy. 2006 ; 12 (1) : 174 – 184 (in Russian).
2. Ivanov V.K. and Tsyb A.F. Meditsinskiye radiologicheskiye posledstviya Chernobylya dlya naseleniya Rossii: otsenka radiatsionnykh riskov [Medical Radiological Consequences of Chernobyl for the Health of the Russian Population: Assessment of Radiation Risk]. Ìoscow : Meditsina ; 2010 : 392 p. (in Russian).
3. Rozhko A.V., Nadyrov E.A., Veyalkin I.V., Stozharov A.N., Bogdan E.L., Nikonovich S.N. et al. Meditsinskiye posledstviya avarii na ChAES v respublike Belarus: 30 let spustya [Medical Consequences of the Accident at the ChNPP in the Republic of Belarus: 30 Years Later]. Mediko-biologicheskiye problemy zhiznedeyatelnosti. 2016 ; 1(15) : 31–41 (in Russian).
4. Buzunov V.A., Krasnikova L.I., Pirogova E.A., Tereshchenko VM. and Voychulene Yu.S. Epidemiologicheskiye issledovaniya I otsenka vliyaniya malykh doz ioniziruyushchego izlucheniya na razvitiye neopukholevykh zabolevaniy u postradavshikh vsledstviye avarii na ChAES [Epidemiological Studies and Assessment of the Effect of Small Doses of Ionizing Radiation on the Development of Non-Tumor Diseases in the Sufferedfrom the Chernobyl Accident]. In : Problemy radiatsiinoi medytsyny ta radiobiolohii: zb. nauk. pr. [Problems of Radiation Medicine and Radiobiology Scientific Papers]. Kyiv; 2008 ; 13 : 56–67 (in Russian).
5. Krasnikova L.I. and Buzunov V.A. Riski neopukholevoy patologii uchastnikov likvidatsii posledstviy Chernobylskoy avarii po dannym uglublennogo kliniko-epidemiologicheskogo monitoringa [Risks of Non-Tumor Pathology of the Participants in the Liquidation of the Consequences of the Chernobyl Accident According to In-Depth Clinical and Epidemiological Monitoring Findings]. In : Problemy radiatsiinoi medytsyny ta radiobiolohii: zb. nauk. pr. [Problems of Radiation Medicine and Radiobiology : Scientific Papers].Kyiv ; 2008 ; 13 : 199–208 (in Russian).
6. Komarenko D.I., Yakymenko D.M., Moroz H.Z., Sarkisova E.O. and Varshavska A.M. Stan orhaniv travlennia u postrazhdalykh vnaslidok avarii na ChAES [The State of Digestive Organs in the Suffered from the Accident at the ChNPP]. In : Vozianov O.F., Bebeshko V.H. and Bazyka D.A. (Eds.). Medychni naslidky avarii na Chornobylskii atomnii elektrostantsii [Medical Consequenes of the Accident at the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant ]. Kyiv : D²À; 2007 : 318–326 (in Ukrainian).
7. Sarkisova Å.Î. et al. Patolohiia orhaniv systemy travlennia v osib, yaki zaznaly vplyvu malykh doz ionizuiuchoho vyprominiuvannia [Pathology of the Digestive System in thePeopleExposed to Low Doses of Ionizing Radiation]. In : BebeshkoV.H., Serdiuk A.Ì. and Bazyka D.A. (Eds.). Medychni naslidky Chornobylskoi katastrofy: 1986–2011 [MedicalConsequenes of the Chornobyl Disaster: 1986-2011]. Ternopil ; 2011 : 614–634 (in Ukrainian).
8. Chumak V.V., Likhtarov I.A. and Repin V.S. Dozy oprominennia evakuiovanoho naselennia [Dose of Radiation of the Evacuees]. In : Bariakhtar V.H. (ed.) Chornobylska katastrofa : monohrafiia [Chornobyl Disaster: Monograph]. Kyiv : Naukova dumka ; 1996 : 420–424 (in Ukrainian).
9. Strapko N.P. and Pirogova Å.À. Metodika epidemiologicheskogo monitoring obshchikh somaticheskikh zabolevaniy vzroslogo naseleniya, postradavshego vsledstviye avarii na ChAES: metodicheskiye rekomendatsii [The Methodology of Epidemiological Monitoring of General Somatic Diseases of the Adult Population Suffered from the Accident at the ChNPP: Guidelines]. Kiev ; 1993 : 32 p. (in Russian).
10. AlbomÀ. And Norrel Ñ. Vvedeniye v sovremennuyu epidemiologiyu [Introduction to Modern Epidemiology]. Ìoscow ; 1996 : 122 p. (in Russian).